Friday, July 18, 2008

Punch Lists

So my project today at work was to type up the “Punch lists” into a spreadsheet. A punch list, for those of you who don’t know, is like a filling out a list of problems when you first move into an apartment or a rental house. Pretty much you are stating what damages were there before so you don’t get in trouble when they are still there at the end. But our punch list isn’t only that, it’s to fix as many damages as we can. In no way is a punch list to be mistaken with a wish list. Today I had 16 punch lists to enter into our spreadsheet so that we can be organized and stay on top of things. From these 16 punch lists I have chosen my 6 top things that I will never forgive them for writing down.

Number 6: “A plant for the corner next to my credenza.” I’m not even going to give commentary on this one.
Number 5: “Small.” I’m assuming this person was referring to the size of her workstation and how she is not happy with it. My response, we can always leave you in the old building (which is where I am still at for one more day) or the other advice I’ll freely give, downsize.
Number 4: “Need keys to my desk.” This was from one of the managers. If this particular manager had ready any of the e-mails involving the move he would have known that he, and he alone was responsible for those keys. This is what we call an SOL situation.
Number 3: “I don’t like my cube, it is too open, a lot of noise, winds, airy, people walk by, noise disturbs my work. Please relocate me to another quiet corner cube.” First off, your manager, not HR, placed you in that cube, talk to him first. Secondly, there are seriously winds disturbing your work? We are inside.
Number 2: “I would like my air conditioning cut off, it makes a lot of unpleasant noise giving me a terrible headache. Can’t sleep at night.” That last part sounds like a personal problem. Also, if we cut off the AC in that part of the building you’re going to be getting many more unpleasant noises, that of the 20 other people in your department complaining about how warm it is.
Number 1: “Lights do not stay on in office.” To the unknowing person this seems like an electrical problem. But the truth of it is, we have an even bigger problem here, it’s called management, because the lights will turn on when you enter the room and they will stay on, unless there is a long period of inactivity. Way to rat yourself out.

Other than that we had 8 “wish list” items. Just in case you’re trying to do the math, some people put more than one “complaint” on a punch list. Out of 28 issues I have recorded (from the 16 punch list) 11 of them were actual issues that we were looking for and hopefully are the only ones we’ll attend to, because honestly these people are ridiculous and while I’m excited to get to the new building I am not excited to see many of those people, because I’ve got my own “punch list” and it just keeps growing.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...