Monday, June 15, 2015


So - I had a baby.  Tami was kind enough to text me on Saturday to remind me that I haven't blogged about that.  I've been adjusting to motherhood and working under my very demanding new boss (some people have taken to calling him 'Turtle' because one of the girls at church said I should name by baby Turtle.  I told her maybe as a nickname - and that's what it's become).

Here's the story of how Turtle came into this world.

I was scheduled to be induced on Friday, May 29th.  Originally we had hoped for that Tuesday but there was no room in the Inn so we took Friday.  I had a doctor's appointment on Wednesday, where I was informed that zero progress had been made, I was still not all.  The doctor decided to have me report to the hospital Thursday evening instead for a 'tape'.  I got checked in at the hospital  Wednesday afternoon so I wouldn't have to do it all on Thursday and Chewy scheduled a half day so that we could go to the hospital together.

Thursday morning Chewy decided to go ahead and take the whole day.  I planned on going through my hospital bag and making sure I had everything I needed and cleaning up a little bit before my 4 o'clock appointment.  I was washing dishes, chatting with Chewy when I realized that I was wet.  I thought perhaps I had gotten dishwater on me, but there was too much for that.  I realized it was my mucus plug and cried out, "something's happening!" because when you have zero progress by week 39 of pregnancy you get a little down.  This was something and though I had read that this could happen days before labor, it was something and I was excited.  Then the contractions started.  I texted my doctor and he told me if I had 6 or more in an hour then to come in to his office.  I started a timer.  The contractions were between 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 minutes apart, but I wasn't sure if I was counting them correctly so I went about my morning.  Ate breakfast, took a shower, got ready for the day.  Chewy did the same.  After two hours with well over 6 contractions an hour, Chewy decided he needed to eat some sandwiches...oh and then we decided to go to the doctor.  I just didn't want to be wasting anyone's time if I had miscounted the contractions since I was scheduled to go in that evening anyway.

The doctor checked me and I was up to four.  They admitted me to Labor and Delivery and Chewy and I hung out in the nice L&D room waiting for whatever came next.  My mom showed up around 1 with food for Chewy (none for the hungry pregnant lady).  But Chewy gave me some of his fries.  The contractions continued to intensify until I finally got the epidural around 2 pm. It was - painful - more than the contractions, but after it got going I didn't feel a thing.  Seriously.  I couldn't even move my legs.  The nurses wanted to put me on my side and they had to do most of the work, I would grab on to the side of the bed and try to help but really I wasn't much help.  I hated it.

Time flew the whole day.  I was put into the L&D room probably around 11 and every time I looked at the clock it was an hour later.  After the epidural, two things happened.  One - I threw up.  Luckily Chewy was able to get me something to throw up in.  I had felt nauseous and told Chewy and the nurse heard me and said that some women throw up in delivery and at that moment it was like she had given me permission to throw up, my face got hotter and I KNEW there was no stopping it.

The second thing - I felt myself start to pee.  I tried to stop it but I felt it was pointless given that I couldn't even move my legs, how could I stop myself from peeing?  I figured it wouldn't be a big deal since I've peed about a teaspoon at a time for most of my pregnancy.  I was ashamed and mortified, especially because the nurses had put a pillow between my knees and I knew I was peeing on that pillow.  The pee didn't stop at a teaspoon though, I told Chewy and my mom that I was peeing and that worse, I was peeing on a pillow.  After a second longer I announced that I was still peeing.  Then - it turns out that for some reason my mom thought that would be an appropriate time to take a picture, but she didn't take a picture, she took a video.  I heard her play it back.  She said she didn't realize she was taking a video.  But THEN - she sent said video to my sisters!  I pulled out a whiny "mom!" that I haven't had to use in years and she said, "I didn't know I was taking a video." To which I replied, "but you knew you were sending one!"  When the nurses came in to roll me over to my other side I apologized because I peed.  They said that was okay, but when they pulled back the blanket they said that my water had broken.  I told my mom to text my sisters and tell them I had NOT peed but that my water had broken.  I had read that only 9% of women have their water break naturally so Chewy said, "Welcome to the 9% club."

After that, they lowered my head - I think this is called 'labor down' - it wasn't comfortable but it couldn't have been too uncomfortable because I fell asleep.  Around 7 we started to really push.  The epidural had lessened (they told me it would so I'd feel pressure and know when to push).  I felt pressure all right.  After I would push it hurt so much.  My doctor came in near the end and he said he could tell I was feeling everything.  He gave me a lock anesthetic...which I felt locally.  That HURT.  I continued to push through contractions until finally the baby was out!  You know when people say they feel a rush of relief? I literally felt a rush of relief.  Matt cut the cord and they took the baby to be weighted and inspected.  While I gave 'mini birth' to the placenta (another rush).  Then I was sewed up - which I felt all of that too.

Turtle weighed 9 pounds, 8.4 ounces and was 20.5 inches long.  My doctor said I get to count it as a natural birth.  Chewy said later that he could tell my doctor was upset that I felt so much.  I guess they backed down too much on the epidural - but also, I never hit my "pain" button.  Turns out I don't quite know the difference between pain and pressure - I had assumed it was all normal.  I mean, women on TV scream too.

In all, I was in labor for 12 hours and pushed for one hour.  I think the worse part was the nurse "massaging" my stomach every so often.  I wish I had the epidural then.  I also got uncontrollable shivers - I thought I was going to vomit or die I was shaking so badly.  They gave me an extra blanket and I had gotten it under control but when the nurse came in to push on my stomach again I started to shiver.  It was as if my body knew.  Chewy and I waited to see him before we named him.  We had it down to two options and the one we went with was Nicholas.  And here he is.

and this one is just for fun


The Ottley's said...

I'm so proud of you! FYI- that pain while they "massage" your uterus amplifies by like a BILLION with each kid! That part sucks. Glad turtle is here!

Joanna & Ben said...

Thats from that commercial...

Lacee said...

He is ADORABLE. I love the cheeks. :) Congratulations, and I wish you a speedy recovery!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...