Tuesday, January 22, 2008

But what about the ROUS'?

So I decided to heighten my intelligence yesterday by brushing up on my current events. Unfortunately I forgot that current events bore me and that’s why I have been out of the loop for the past couple of years. After skimming through Hollywood gossip like I really cared I came across an article about a 2,000 pound rodent that lived 2 to 4 million years ago in South America.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22684589/?GT1=10755

I found the article interesting for the most part but couldn’t help but imagine an ROUS when they were describing the little fiend. They scurry across the floor of the woodland; they’d probably take a nasty bite out of a dead pirate’s arm while he was trying to defend a princess. Who would have thought that when the Princess Bride declared that there were Rodents of Unusual Size within the forest that they may have actually existed in real life over 2 million years ago! My two favorite parts of the article however don’t necessarily revolve around facts of the ROUS’. The first part is found under the heading, “Found a Decade Ago” and then is preceded immediately by the statement, “The fossil was found in 1987…” I may not be a math whiz, but I’m pretty certain that 1987 was more than a decade ago. My other favorite part was when the paleontologist was explaining why these rodents are now extinct, you see, back when North and South America were two completely separate entities the rodents lived in peace but when North and South were bridged together other animals came in eventually leading to the rodents dieing out. I just think that it is interesting that the paleontologist could tell this without really being there to know for sure, and when you think about it, a lot of things that we “know” about millions of years ago are just the guesses of paleontologists, we’ve just accepted what they said for some reason or another. So there you have it, my attempt to stay informed has led me to just random tidbits of information that lead me nowhere, but I hoped you enjoyed it just as much as I did.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...