Friday, April 4, 2014

It's like you escaped from a Hallmark card or something. *

January = 4

February = 1

March = 1

Total = 6

I am six books behind.  I know I got married and that should count as an excuse, but I'm still sitting here wondering what is wrong with me!? 

Anyway - on to the book

Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham

First off - let me say that I never know how much to share because I would hate to write a spoiler and not realize I've done it. 

I'm not going to lie, I kind of love this book.  There are many books that I really enjoy, but I feel like every once in a while I just think, "I love this!" It was a little hard to get in to the book at first, but mostly that was because Wyndham gives you the history lesson that leads to the day when the Triffids can take over.  And the Triffids by the way are these fictitious plants that Wyndham made up - pictured here.


Thank you Wyndham for drawing and Wikipedia for providing the image

He describes the triffids well and what they can and will do is horrific. Basically they can grow to about 10 feet tall (typically in the cities they grow to be 7-8 feet tall).  They have a stinger (as seen whipping out at the top in the picture) that can reach about as long as their body is tall.  The sting is deadly, unless the plant is immature, in which case it will knock you out and make you sick for a bit but won't kill you, if you're lucky.  Once the triffid kills its prey it waits for the body to decompose a bit, and then uses its stinger to tear away bits of flesh for consumption (gross right?).  However, the triffids produce this incredible resource that works better than any oil currently found on earth.  So of course, some people harvest them for profit.  OH I forgot to mention the WORST part - see the legs at the bottom? The triffids can move - not gracefully, but they move.  And despite their capability to kill if they come to full maturation - people like having them in their gardens.  So...you know - that's dumb.  Then there is an event, like an asteroid shower or something - the shower goes late in to the night but our main character can't see it because he had some kind of eye surgery (after being whipped in the face by a Triffid.   When he and the rest of the world wake up the next day, any who were able to see the shower, are blind. And then the story really begins...

I found myself reading in the middle of the day, thinking of all the possibilities and getting a little scared.  I even started to look at plants with a little more suspicion.  I think Wyndham did a good job describing the world, the plants, and even dealing with moral issues that would arrive from there being so few sighted people compared to blind people. 

Anyway - I probably already said this before - but I would recommend it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...