Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Good morning son, I am a bird.*


January - 4



February -3



March - 4



April -5


May - 4



June - 3


July -5


August - 3


September - 1


I know! I know!

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville


This book was a struggle at first. The first - oh 250 pages kind of drag. However, having read one of Mieville's other books (Unlondon) I knew that it would drag a bit - but that everything he writes - no matter how small - comes to play in the completion of the story. Once B.I.L. Ben gave me a deadline to finish the book I buckled down and forced myself to get through it - but then it hit that magical moment when the story just takes off and you can't put it down. It's a heavier book - so light readers beware. Also - B.I.L. Ben made an "edited" copy for me - I don't know what lay beyond the white out - but it very well may be offensive to some.


The story is complicated to explain - but let me try. This scientist, Isaac, is commissioned to help a Guarda (a flying man-bird) to regain his ability to fly. In the course of his research he comes across a grub and out of curiosity keeps it as it grows to be three feet long and wraps itself in it's chrysalis. This grub becomes a moth that sucks our people's dreams and memories - basically their minds. The idea intrigued me, which is why Ben edited a copy for me to read. It's a good read if you put in the effort for 250 pages or so.

1 comment:

G Sauce said...

Pick up the pace! You don't want to have to read 10 books the last week of Dec! It sucks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...