Thursday, February 23, 2012

Would you say I have a plethora of piñatas?*



Two Songs

Luckiest by Ben Folds Five

"I don't get many things right the first time, in fact, I am told that a lot.  Now I know all the wrong turns, the stumbles and falls brought me here."

I can still remember the first time that I heard this song.  I was 18 and living in Provo.  The thing I love the most about this song is that it gets truer as I get older.  The more mistakes, the more stumbles, the more I believe that they actually bring me to where I am today.  Sometimes we make the mistakes so we can better recognize the successes.  I make mistakes, I jump in too quickly at times, I trip up over my own feet as I overanalyze my decisions and the choices that lay ahead of me.  I am one giant, walking contradiction...but despite all of that, I am brought through to something worthwhile.  I love this song because it is what I hope will happen with me, to make my mistakes, to have my regrets, but to be constantly led towards something that will make it all worth it.

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
"Jesus sought me when a stranger, wandering from the fold of God; he, to rescue me from danger, interposed his precious blood...Let thy goodness, like a fetter, bind my wandering heart to thee.  Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, prone to leave the God I love; here's my heart, O take and seal it, seal it for thy courts above."

I think I have a penchant for songs about mistakes and redemption.  The first time I heard this hymn I openly cried.  I think it is beautiful and if you've never heard it, do a search for an mp3 or a YouTube video, it's absolutely gorgeous. I love how honest and sincere it is, "prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, prone to leave the God I love" and then that offering, "here's my heart, O take and seal it." How many times I have wished I could literally just give the Lord my heart so he could seal it up to Him and I would no longer wonder away. 

So there you have it, two songs I absolutely love.  I hope you'll enjoy them too.

2 comments:

The Hudsons said...

Such good songs...to this day anytime I hear Ben folds I think of you first. Thanks for introducing me to his music.

Joanna & Ben said...

The Three Amigos!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...