Monday, February 13, 2012

It's always about YOU, isn't it?*

Friday was one crazy day for me.  At work we had our annual Chili Cook-Off.  This year it was all up to me.  At my review a few months ago boss lady told me that she'd like me to completely take over events (no surprise since she's been saying since she started here that she doesn't like event planning, never has).  So this was my first officially event.  I went to Sam's club to get drinks and desserts and spoons and baby cups for chili samples.  I'm still recovering from lifting those heavy sodas and pushing that next to impossible to move cart.  I got to do all the grunge work, everything in prep for the event and everything after the event except....sending out the announcements.  It was apparently my event but someone else got to send out the announcement, the reminder, and yes, even the winner.  That's a wee tiny bit disheartening.  It's not like I care about sending out the fun e-mails - but if it really is my event, then let it be my event.  Don't let me do all the laborious and not fun work and not have a little reprieve with a stupid e-mail.  Ok - not my point for today - I just had to vent a little.

On to the show!

Oddly enough, Friday night was our first Regional activity of 2012.  I have to say, I was excited.  The event was "Date 'n Dodge" and we were going to have speed dating and then play dodgeball...I don't know, something exciting about that.  But Friday morning I woke up worried about all the things that could go wrong (the person bringing the dodgeballs falling through, there wouldn't be enough people to make the speed dating go on long enough, there wouldn't be enough people to make dodgeball go on long enough, the food would look sparse compared to our last activity, etc.)  I was a worry wart - I hated it.

The event started at 7 and at 7:15 there were only a handful of people.  We had allotted the first half hour for eating and socializing to give people time to get there, but the empty gym just made me nervous.  Then we found out that there was an accident or something backing up 95 so Robby made an announcement that we would wait a little bit longer before starting.

As soon as he did that it was like everyone decided to arrive!  They just kept coming, it was great!  So we started the speed dating and the only complaints we got were about not letting everyone go all the way through the line.  Everyone seemed to have a really good time. So - here are some pics.




Ben and Bryan making sure everyone signed in.  Ben's been waiting his whole life to show off his, "sign in here" skills.









I love this picture.  Ryan had gotten Jesse out of the game like 8 times.  Jesse had gotten Ryan out once and had just gone back in the game.  I was cheering for him to get Ryan out.  This picture was taken milliseconds after Jesse got out again.  It's a little blurry because I was screaming, "Noooo!" Ryan. Is. Ruthless.

In all we ended up having about 70 people there!!  Everyone seemed to have a really good time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...