Tuesday, August 14, 2012

I am flawed, but I am cleaning up so well.*

Lately I have decided to make a few changes in my life.  This decision is based on a myriad of factors.  Conversations with friends, heartfelt conversations with the Lord, talks in church, the books from book club.

The book that we are currently reading for book club is The Traveler's Gift by Andy Andrews (yes, this means his parents thought that they should name their baby Andrew Andrews...but he seems to have turned out alright).  His name isn't the point.  In this book, David Ponder (*elbows* Ponder? Get it?) feels that his life is just rotten and doesn't know why - he gets into an accident and is sent on a journey through time meeting up with seven people (Christopher Columbus, a civil war general, etc.).  Each person gives him "A Decision for Success".  I'm really enjoying this book so far.

One of the decisions was "I am a person of action".  I, Lildonbro, am not really a person of action - so this is definitely something I needed to hear.  Here are a few excerpts.

 "When faced with a decision, many people say they are waiting for God.  But I understand, in most cases, God is waiting for me!"

"I have exposed fear as a vapor, an impostor that never had any power over me in the first place! I do not fear opinion, gossip, or the idle chatter of monkeys, for all are the same to me.  I do not fear failure, for in my life, failure is a myth.  Failure exists only for the person who quits. I do not quit."

There are so many things in my life I don't do because I'm not good at it, because I am afraid, because I continue to put things off.  I've had a lot of messages (mostly in books) that keep telling me not to fear failure and I've been working on believing that failure is simply a learning opportunity. So if I'm not good - Great! I have room for improvement, I know how bad I am so I can start to get better.

One of the other decisions is "I have a decided heart" and in this one it says, "What I put off until tomorrow, I will put off until the next day as well.  I do not procrastinate.  All my problems become smaller when I confront them."  This was like a little kick for me in the procrastination department.  I always say I want to do this or do that, or improve this or that...it's not going to just take care of itself - I'm going to need to get my hands dirty, carve out time, commit to do the things I say I want to do. 

So it's time for me to take steps beyond simply thinking of what I want and get out there and just start living.

I have a decided heart.  I will not wait.

Now I need to figure out my calendar and start carving out time for all of these crazy ventures!


2 comments:

Amber Lanae- said...

**dashboard confessional 'vindicated'

What are these adventures?!

Lildonbro said...

Well - for one - I am picking up the piano again.

I also want to get better at tennis.

I want to finish the revisions on my story and find a new agent to send it to.

etc. etc. yadda, yadda, yadda :P

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...