Thursday, February 19, 2009

I like the night life...I like to boogie.


Last night Claire (C$) and Gretel (G or G-sauce) and I went to see "Against Grace". I have to admit right off that I hadn't heard their music until Tuesday after Twilight when Claire gave me the CD. But I like to support local music, so I was willing to go, and Claire said they were good and I trust her music taste.

We went downtown to The Canal Club. I have never been there before (there are a lot of places downtown I haven't been). After witnessing Claire giving the lady a hard time about her age "I'm over 21 but I won't be drinking" and the woman just saying something about the age or if she was drinking, or something and then finally brutally marking Claire's flesh with two 'X's, I just held my hands out and told her to mark me. I didn't have my ID with me anyway and if this woman chose to believe that I looked under 21 (or actually as I learned from selling cigarettes at the grocery store, under 30 to be safe) then I was happy to be branded.

Before "Against Grace" came on we heard two other brands which I thought were really good. "The Bigger Lights" and "We The Living". I tried to look up "The Bigger Lights" on iTunes, but looks like I should have probably shelled out for the CD while I was there. I haven't looked up "We The Living" but they are from California so I have a better chance of it. "The Bigger Lights" are from Newport News (I think) and "Sometimes" Richmond, and they seem to really need a hug because the lead singer kept telling everyone to come and give them a hug. Uh...Not so much a hugger, especially when the guy is tall and super skinny and probably wearing women's jeans. But their sound was good, kind of like The Format mixed with something else that Claire said but I just forgot, but it was perfect what she said. Anyway.

So "Against Grace" came up and we went to stand in front of the stage. I'll admit I've never really been to a concert unless you count Weird Al at Innsbrook after hours...and I'm not going to lie, I don't really count that. So the strange thing to me is that everyone stands in front of the stage and stares at the band. That's it. Sometime people danced, or took pictures, but mostly they stood there staring. So I stood there staring and felt ubber awkward. Now, even though I had only been listening to their CD for the past 24 hours I had my favorites, and my most favorite is their song "Radio". It's C$'s favorite too so we kept hoping the next song would be it, but it wasn't. Finally their last song they played it! Yeah, I'm a nerd because that really did make me happy.
After they played we pretty much left. But not until G bought me a beanie. She's amazing!


Then we took pictures outside and several people stopped to ask us what was going on at The Canal Club. So we got our pictures and left before anyone else could ask us. But I mean, why wouldn't they want to make up an excuse to talk to us? Look at us.


After that little "fix" I think I'm on my way to being a concert Junkie. I already have tickets to the Jack's Mannequin concert May 5th (so excited!).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...