Monday, July 9, 2012

Never Give Up, Never Surrender.*

Today I was listening to Elder Holland's talk, "Remember Lot's Wife".

I love this talk...I love Holland to be honest.  I feel that when you listen to him talk you know how much he loves everyone he is addressing.

Something I have been working on in my personal life is "A Mighty Change of Heart".  What one is, how to obtain it and how to retain it.  I have listened to this talk countless times and I have my favorite parts but this time the following is what stood out to me.  He was talking about how if we don't forgive others, the greater sin is in us, and how sometimes, that other person is us.  We need to forgive ourselves just as much as we need to forgive others.

He says, "Bury your weapons of war and leave them buried.  Forgive and do that which is harder than to forgive, forget.  And when it comes up to mind again, forget it again!  You can remember just enough to avoid repeating the mistake, but then put the rest of it on the dung heap Paul spoke of to the Philippians. Dismiss the destructive and keep dismissing it until the beauty of the Atonement of Christ has revealed to you your bright  future and the bright future of your family and your friends and your neighbors.  God doesn't care nearly as much about where you've been as he does about where you are and with His help, where you are willing to go."

As I have been studying and working on this Mighty Change of Heart in my own life, I feel that I have been blessed to forget the mistakes of my past.  And when they do come up I keep reminding myself that that is not who I am, it is not who I have to be and it is not the person God sees that I can be. So when I heard this talk again, that is what stood out.  A gentle reminder that I am doing the right thing and that what is in store is better than what lay behind. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...