Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Super Size Me 1950's Style

Last Thursday (yeah...sorry for the delay in blogging) G, Money, and I went to The Silver Diner! We've been meaning to get there for a while now cause Money had a $5 off coupon (it's the little things that drag us to different establishments for dietary consumption). Our original attempts were thwarted by a New Kids on the Block Concert - I just don't feel any need for further explanation on that one.

The Silver Diner is a 50's style like 'diner'. You've got the jukebox, the all American food, the 'nice' boys and girls as your servers with their clean appearance who like to do the Twist. Except for the one kid who had purple clips in the back of his hair...I've narrowed the reasons down to two things, his hair was getting too long but he hadn't had time to get it cut to the appropriate length so he thought, "I have dark hair, no one will notice if I borrow my little sister's purple clips and clip my hair back so it looks like I have short enough hair" (in which case, he would be wrong, they stood out like nobody's business). The other option is that he doesn't belong in the 1950's setting, for one reason or another, I'll leave the conclusions up to you.

Anywho, let's talk about the Silver Diner experience. First, super friendly, soon to be BFF waitress comes over (I forgot her name though which is typical for me when I get a BFF so suddenly). She asks us what we would like to drink and as usual I say 'water'...then she brings this thing!

Thanks to Money for using the phone to show actual size. Ketchup bottles can be tricky since they come in several different sizes. And yet, I still didn't feel like the true size was being properly represented. So I took a picture with the gargantuan glass.

And unfortunately my gargantuan man hands don't help to show the enormity of this cup. It's an experience that may have to be lived in person rather than vicariously through me.
G's salad comes out and we begin to realize that we may have accidentally entered into Giant Land, where everything is bigger. Hopefully the smell of deep fried food and the root's of America's obesity problem can thwart the Giant from smelling our blood and making us his next meal...oh if only I had my magic beans!*
Here is the cucumber from the salad

Thanks again to the ketchup bottle and cell phone for stepping in.

Chicken-pot, chicken-pot, chicken-pot-pie!** Next came G's pot-pie...the thing was freaking huge! All you can really see in the picture is the crust, which she had to move to another plate just so she could properly eat the thing. Of course, also shown in the picture is the ketchup bottle, cell phone, and the crotchety old man (who by the way, went out to eat with three of his buds and not one of them spoke).



It was quite an experience. G kept putting quarters into our little table juke-box which feeds through to the music in the restaurant and though we were there for quite some time we only heard two of the songs. ...Maybe if we had gone when it was less busy we could have heard more.
I got the chicken fingers (as usual) but I think I'm going to say that at this resturant you should go for the burger (or the pot-pie if that floats your boat). Chicken fingers were not their strong point. The water however...amazing. I drank and drank and drank and she never had to fill it up.
*Jack and the Beanstalk
**An episode of "Just Shoot Me"

2 comments:

SB said...

That's my kind of glass of water! I've gotten to the point that I just ask for a pitcher of water and that usually lasts me the whole meal. I think I'm part camel! Now that pot pie...I could be a part of that!

Jenny Jerkface said...

You guys live in Texas, don't you? You know, 'everything's bigger in Texas', right? Right?

That pot pie was ridiculously huge.

Love the blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...