Thursday, May 21, 2009

I had. A bad. Experience. Dang it. "I'm" deaf.*

It was spring time, the smell of fresh cut grass riding on the breeze. The football field was divided into several sections by small orange cones. Hundreds of middle schoolers ran up and down the fields passing a small, white disc between each other. It was the eighth graders pitted against the seventh graders. A rag tag team of eighth grade girls played against a small group of seventh grade "plastics"*...cheating plastics. I was one of those eighth graders. The details of that day are foggy in my memory, but I do remember this, I remember one of the seventh grade girls cheated (or accused me of cheating which in essence is cheating since cheating in sports is not how I roll) and we had it out on the field.
I had always been one of those quiet students, the kind that surprised teachers if they ever spoke in class and even surprised their friends if they raised their voice. Teachers and friends were both amply surprised that day that i could not only speak but that I could yell.
Fortunately this happened at the end of the class period and my friend quickly dragged me to the dressing room where we change, and then spent the next class period in the guidance counselor's office. I have not really played Ultimate Frisbee since.

Last night however, I made an exception.

At church someone started a Facebook group dedicated to Ultimate Frisbee. It pretty much is just a way to show who might be playing and to establish that it will be on Wednesday nights a Byrd Park. Other than that the group is useless. Amber told me on Sunday that they would be playing this Wednesday and that I should come. I agreed, thinking that I would just show up and support, maybe stand on the field like I usually do, but not really get into it.

I am a girl who enjoys violent sports, no so much that they are in and of themselves violent, but I do enjoy a good story and even better bruises to accompany it (as you may remember from basketball blog entries). It took me a while to get into the game, but my competitive nature finally got the best of me and I found my self playing defensive rather well. However, defensive in frisbee means some damage to my hands. For a while I couldn't feel my fingertips, my middle finger on my left hand is bruised, and while flying through the air one of the other players smacked my arm. Also, this morning I found new bruises on my legs. I'm confused because I never fell, and I don't recall anyone running into me, but they could have. Also, I feel like I may have broken my toe, the big one, and that in turns makes it feel like there's a little more damage to the foot. But overall, I had a really good time! I even caught the frisbee within the goal once (that means I scored), which is pretty exciting for me, since when I first got there I told them not to throw it to me.

Anyway I would go back next week, but at that point I will be in Utah so next week is out. Looks like the 3rd is the next time I am going. I've got basketball tonight so we'll see how I do there and if I can get anymore bruises.

10 comments:

SB said...

Plastics...Mean Girls?
Title...no idea.

Did you get to yell at anyone at this frisbee game?

Lildonbro said...

Ha-ha! Not in a mean spirited way.

Martha said...

Dang it!! I was so busy playing Bubble Town, Plastics is Mean Girls.

Title? No idea.

The Hudsons said...

I am so sad that no one knows the title...I should get extra blog bucks for this...The Italian Job.

Martha said...

I think Mur watches too many movies. ;P

Amber Lanae- said...

Come Come Come! I love playing with you!! :D

Lildonbro said...

Mur, you done me proud. Mart...back off. :)

G Sauce said...

Totally Mean Girls - everyone should know that!

I am curious as to how you hurt your toe!

Lildonbro said...

Oh yeah...I think I slid. The grass was semi-wet and I had just started to get into the game when I went to stop, but my foot didn't stop. Ever since then my foot has been slowly breaking apart.

Joanna & Ben said...

Ah yes, Jess and sports, always an interesting combo. Love you Jess. I missed out on the blog points, kinda bummed about that but it's my fault for not checking the blogs earlier.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...