Sunday, May 17, 2009

Wayne Chung

Today we celebrated my sister, Kathryn's birthday. Her birthday isn't until the day that Terminator comes out in theaters, but the family can get together more easily on Sundays...and we might go see Terminator since Hollywood gift wrapped it for her, cause seriously what kind of movie opens on a Thursday?

Wow, jumping into digression right away today. My job for lunch today was to provide the birthday cake. Now in my family we don't really like the typical "Happy Birthday" written on the cake. We try to use movie quotes or little sayings that we think are funny. For my dad's birthday we had "Thirty, flirty, and thriving" though he was in his 60's, we've had "Congratulations on the new hip" and "good luck with the hair plugs". Things like that. So a few years ago I actually wrote down what I wanted to write on Kathryn's birthday cake last year, however I forgot and her cake came to her simply saying "Sorry..." the people at the bakery thought I was trying to make amends and then I told them that it was a birthday cake. Then a few months ago I found the post-it note that I had written the birthday message on, "Everybody Wang Chung Tonight". So this year that's what I planned to do.

So yesterday I went to the local grocery store (the store where cake dreams are made of). I waited for the bakery person to come and assist me and when she asked if I wanted something written on it I said, "Yes it's going to be weird." she smiled and I said, "Wang Chung Tonight" Because it was a round pound cake and I realized the whole message wouldn't fit but Kathryn loves the pound cake ones (which are only round). So I spelled "W-A-N-G" for her and then began to spell Chung but she said she would write down the first word first. So when she was reading I said, "C-H-U-N-G". She finished writing rather quickly and I knew she didn't write the "tonight" on the cake. So she prints the sticker and gives it to me and I start to walk away, only glancing quickly at the cake to confirm that "tonight" is not written on the cake.

Then I focused on it a little bit more and this is what I saw...


That says, "Wayne Chung". I immediately started to laugh and I go up to the register knowing full well the cashier is going to read it and have questions because this is what happens every time I get a cake. And you know? A lot of cashiers are trained to look at it, so they can make small talk with their customer. Anyway, so the cashier does read it and asks who Wayne Chung is. I laughed and told him that the woman in the bakery misheard me, but I like the mistake so much I decided to keep it. He laughed and then the customer behind me is looking at the cake and says, "Who is Wayne Chung?" and I told him the same thing and he says, "You don't even know him?" and the lady behind him is asking him what is going on and he's like, "The cake says Wayne Chung" and the lady says, "Who is Wayne Chung?" and the cashier finally says, "She probably wanted Wang Chung, like the song" Yes sir, that is what I wanted. Also made famous in our family in 13 Going On 30.


So that is the story on the cake (the cake that is now my most favorite cake of all time). I just have to figure out who Wayne Chung is.


Anyway, I made this for Kathryn for her birthday, I've been working on it for some time. I made a menu and everything and burned it to a DVD, but I can't put everything up on the blog...just the video part. Hope you enjoy.


6 comments:

AuntKatween said...

I swear!! I love this video so much!!! I laugh and tear up everytime I watch it! I think it might be one of my fave gifts ever!

AuntKatween said...

Oh, also, Christian did want the movie to come out ON my bday!! He loves me!

Joanna & Ben said...

CUTE VIDEO, I LOVE IT!!!! The cake is awesome too. Nice that people in Ukrops are so concerned about anothers' cake and who it's for. I would have kept the mistake too...it's the Donbrosky way.

G Sauce said...

That is fantastic! Wayne! Didn't even notice at first!

SB said...

very nice! you should send that cake story into cakewrecks. it's a cake blog...there's a link on my blog :)

Martha said...

I Wayne Chung tonight and every night.

Bring me a Ukrop's Cake, why don't cha!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...