Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Bad Day?

Sorry for posting so much lately. I'll stop I promise. But I just couldn't help myself when I came back to my desk after a meeting and found this e-mail sitting in my inbox. Just to give you a little background...this is not the first, or the second e-mail (or maybe even the third) calling for "common sense" when smoking. It started politely in January with a simple reminder that there is a designated area and that cigarette debris should be properly disposed of "in it's proper receptacle, not on the ground." Then in March we received one that just warned against the dry conditions we have been having and how there was a small fire on a mulch pile. Luckily though it was caught and no one was hurt. Then Monday (this Monday) we got another one reminding everyone of the dry conditions and that there was "improper disposal of lit tobacco products" and how there have now been three mulch fires. Then this morning...this one. Now I receive the e-mails before the rest of the employees because J (you remember her from Casual Friday right?) usually forwards them. I have yet to see J forward this one and it's been an hour...I'm just saying. Okay, okay, on to the e-mail.

NO SMOKING!!

This is a non smoking facility! However, we have been finding tobacco products in the restrooms and in the trashcans as well as the lingering smell of cigarette smoke.

Also, folks are continually dropping tobacco debris on the ground as well as in the trash cans outside of the main entrances. Folks, we need to use common sense when putting smoking products into the trash cans. This is an accident waiting to happen.

If folks cannot adhere to the policies set forth, the next step may be to completely ban smoking on the campus. Of course, we want to be conducive to all but at the same time, folks must follow the policies and guidelines set forth.

The smoking shelter is the designated smoking area for this building, not the loading dock, and not the entrances/exits to the building.

Please pass this on to your staff and ensure this message is communicated.

...Smoking is a bad habit anyway. I don't know, maybe if you had read how polite and professional the previous e-mails had been, or maybe there's the escalation involved...but when she whipped out the "lingering smell of cigarette smoke" and the "folks" I knew she was ticked.

Okay, I get it, I'll stop posting for a while.

3 comments:

SB said...

Don't stop posting! What will I do at work without something funny to read? And if people aren't smart enough to smoke responsibly, then they should have that priveledge taken away on the work campus. I know the Idaho state police won't even look at people's applications if they have smoked within the past 11 months. they want people smoke free so they don't have to deal with this kind of thing. Makes sense to me :)

Aunt_B said...

I loved the over use of the word "folks". I can totally imagine the author of the email typing and deleting her message until he/she had just the right amount of bitchiness. LOL We used to have this old broad who would smoke in the back of the office. She wouldn't go all the way outside though, just stick her arm and the front of her face out the door, then she would toss her lit cig into the coffee can that served as the ashtray. Needless to say that friggen can would catch fire about once a month.

Oh yea, please don't stop posting, you friggen crack me up!

G Sauce said...

You don't post too much! What are you on crack?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...