Monday, April 13, 2009

Let's talk about punctuation

Okay, so right off the bat, after reading the title, those who know me are thinking, "What the? She can't talk about punctuation, she sucks at punctuation." It's true, it's a rare disease, Grammardisintrestia. I discovered I had it when I would zone out for weeks at a time during the "grammar portion" of English class. I was far more interested in the Literary portions. Luckily the teacher was wise and broke up the two different portions so that we never got overloaded. However, I never learned anything about punctuation. I mean, I get it, a period at the end of the sentence, an exclamation when yelling or very excited, a question mark when you just don't get it. However, probably most apparent, when the heck do you use a comma? Semi-colon? Colon? Or ellipses? I misuse the comma and the ellipses the most. I love those little ellipses and anytime I want a dramatic pause I add them. Is that what they are there for? In my world it's a definite yes.

...just kidding (about the ellipses, not about the last paragraph). Except all I wanted to do after writing those "..." was to type three more, I have a problem, I should seek therapy. Point of this? Sometimes the misuse of punctuation can change the message all together.

My dear, sweet, short, sister Kathryn knows of which I speak. She is infamous for the over and incorrect usage of the "?!?!?!" I use the "?!?!?!" for "Oh my word! Are you flippin kidding me?!?!?!" My sister uses them like so, "I'm going to the bank after work?!?!?!" ...what does that mean exactly? I usually call her on it and ask if it's a question, an exciting moment, or an invitation. It's usually an invitation, but one can never get too comfortable, after all it could change.

But let's talk about my favorite, the ellipses. Now that you know how I use them (for a dramatic pause) you'll better appreciate the following. While I was boss-less I was in charge of communicating with the recruiter. Do I like this? No...but mostly because I don't know what exactly I'm supposed to be doing with this. I was not trained in this, I wasn't even informed what is normally done, I was just told to give her a call and check up on something and since then she has been e-mailing me stuff. So she wrote me on Friday to check up on two resumes she had sent me. I wrote her back telling her I was still waiting (I told her on Monday that the guy making the decisions on these two was out of town until next week). I thanked her for checking up though because I didn't know how else to close the e-mail. Some kind of thanks was in order right? I just didn't know what kind, so I made it that. She wrote back: "OK........sounds good. Thanks."
What does that mean!?
How I read it *with a valley girl accent* "OK...uh...sounds good. *insert eye roll*. Thanks or whatever." Made me feel funny, not in a good way. I was wondering what I said to receive such a juvenile response of acceptance. I don't know what more I could have said to not get this response. But then, I checked an older e-mail from her for some unrelated reasons and I noticed at the end of one of them it said, "Thank you......Have a great weekend." And yes, she always uses more than just three, so if there are more than three is it not technically an ellipsis? So maybe it's not so bad when she writes it, maybe it just means she has afterthoughts. What do you think?

3 comments:

Martha said...

IDK...my BFF, Jill....?!?!?!?!?!!?

SB said...

haha. special. I love elipses. I use them far too much...but oh well! I think I use them in place of commas too often.

AuntKatween said...

Thanks for the shout out!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...