Friday, April 24, 2009

Mental Health

Almost everyday I see a sign that points to Hollywood Cemetery. I have been to H.C. many times before, but I have never been by myself. For those of you who don't know (and technically that still includes myself) a little background on Hollywood Cemetery. This cemetery was designed to be dual functioning. Not only is it a resting place for the deceased, but it is also like a park. Not an incredibly amusing park, but one where you walk trails, contemplate life, break a sweat, all in the comfort of being surrounded by dead people's last resting place.


Sounds creepy, and I admit for someone with an overactive imagination such as myself it tends to creep me out. Another cool thing about H.C. though is that a lot of famous people are buried there, famous in a political - founding fathers kind of way, which to me is way better than famous-famous.


Not to mention that even though I know now my sister (Joanna) was making it up when she told me that the ground was soft on graves was because the dead person was going to reach up and pull me in and trade places with me (and my family would love the deceased person better), I still have this slight fear of walking on too close to graves. What I'm saying is, I did a cool thing going by myself to H.C.


The weather was beautiful, not too hot - not too cold, all I needed was a light sweater*. I went with the intent and purpose of working on my story, of going to a bench/tombstone that I had been to before when letter boxing and sitting down and writing my heart out. What I ended up doing was pulling out my camera and taking pictures. Eventually though I went to the presidential steps, sat at the top and overlooked the river. Then I did write, I wrote quite a bit, but it wasn't for the story I was hoping to overcome my writer's block for...it was the "second" story, the sequel if you will, which may never come to fruition (let's be honest, neither story will). But anyway, long story incredibly shortened though it might be too late for that. Here are some pictures I took from H.C. ...enjoy.

My view of the river when I finally sat down to write.
The train that distracted me and I thought, "Oh Jacob (my nephew) would love to see this!


A bench, which I personally wouldn't have sat on anyway, but after I noticed something a little off I definitely wouldn't sit down on it.

...and in case you are visually impaired it is that this is a trileg bench...not a good idea

Some views....




I have a ton more pictures of flowers, but I figure this is enough.

Say hello to McCreepy. While taking the picture I kept half expecting him to move, which would have probably scared me to death. But I had my heart pumping rapidly with the simple thought that he might move. Maybe say G'day. This is why I don't go to places like cemeteries on my own. I have an over active imagination.

The next ones are just photos that I took that I thought would look better in black and white (really it's just the "charcoal" feature)




And if that weren't enough...the highlight of the day would be this gem. Notice what the license plates says. I couldn't get a better shot because I noticed it while at a stop light, and I was waiting to make a left hand turn. As I got my camera out the light turned green and I had people behind me so I just started moving and hoped for the best. All things considered I think it turned out well.

Well, that's it for today, hope you enjoyed!

5 comments:

G Sauce said...

I love it. I wanna go up there.

Martha said...

Miss Congeniality!!


(my verification word: nogionio)

Joanna & Ben said...

ok, I totally can't read the license plate, what does it say. And can I say that you took some really good pictures. I never knew you were such a good photog.

Lildonbro said...

G - have you never been? Or you just want to go up again?

Martha - 10 pts

Joanna:
License Plate - Gogadit.
and Thank you! Means a lot coming from you. :)

SB said...

cemetaries creap me out...i tried to go jogging by one once. I haven't been back. Plus, there is a dog park next to the closest cemetary...explain to me how that makes sense...dogs, bones? hmm.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...