Friday, August 21, 2009

Pass it over here Percy I don't mind coconut.*

Two posts ago the title was "Chocolate's much too good for children"* No guesses? I will give you a picture hint but it will cost 5-blog bucks being deducted, so basically it will reduce it to 5 points. Or you can try your darnedest and without a hint it is worth 15 points. You're call.

So the other day I e-mailed a guy at a newspaper (sounds typical right?). So my e-mail has my name in it (Jessica). He sends me an e-mail back (to Jessica@work.com) and then gives me a call. I was not at my workstation so it went to voicemail, where he would hear that my name is Jessica. I pick up the phone, dial my voicemail and hear, "Hey Valerie, how's it going." ...Pause. It's almost like a guy calling you to tell you he had a good time on your date last weekend but using the wrong name when he leaves the message. Yeah, I bet you did.

I suppose that's why whenever possible I avoid using the other person's name. People who have to hear their name as a sense of validation probably hate interacting with me. There are a few people at work who always say my name when they see me. They say, "Hey Jessica," and I say, "Hey, how's it going?" I know that people who use other people's names all the time probably use it because they want people to use their names, but I can't do it. Even if I know their name I don't want to run the risk of saying the wrong one. I've done that enough before, that's probably why I have adopted this strategy. When I leave a voicemail I do not repeat their name, rather I say, "Hey this is Jessica with yadda, yadda." They know their name, they don't need me to repeat it.

Tomorrow is the Shriner's Pancake Breakfast....get excited.

10 comments:

SB said...

I'm going to guess the quote is from a Harry Potter movie...Maybe the 3rd one? I need to borrow those from my sister! It's been much too long since I've watched them.

Joanna & Ben said...

'Pass it over here Percy...' is from Corrina Corrina.

Martha said...

I need to be more on the ball reading your blog. You were just so not into it a week ago and I got out of the habit.

Aunt_B said...

Based solely on the fact that the name Percy is used in your movie and/or book quote, I'm going with a Harry Potter although I don't remember that line from the movies. I never use peoples names either for the simple fact that I can NEVER remember peoples names. I'm terrible!

The Hudsons said...

Ok... so the chocolate quote is from Matilda.

Anonymous said...

I don't use peeps names either. Sometimes I can barely remember my own!

Nat-Attack said...

The whole using peoples' name thing goes way back to when knwoing a person's name and using it meant that you had some sort of power over that person, Jessica. So, as you can see, Jessica, the more I use your name, the more power I have over you. Jessica.

Lildonbro said...

...not feeling it.
Really, I was hoping you would do that, so do you have power over me or did I manipulate you?

Nat-Attack said...

Actually, I think we're at a standstill, becuase in a sense, we both win. We tie at everything, it just isn't fair.

Nat-Attack said...

And I spelled because wrong.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...