Friday, September 11, 2009

You're gonna eat lightnin' and you're gonna crap thunder!*

Today I was reading up on some current events (as best as I can because I'm sure I mentioned before that I don't have the mind for that stuff). I read on Michelle Malkin how the soldiers were running 9.11 kilometers (5.5 miles) in remembrance of the troops who have died since 9/11. I thought to myself, "Self, I want to do something like that." So today, after work, I put on my running pants and my Old Navy shirt, tied up my sneakers and hit the track. I would like to say that I ran 5.5 miles straight through, because I would like to think that a sense of patriotism is enough to fuel the body and motivate it to work through the shooting pain in my left foot and the weak lungs gasping for air. I would like to think that it absolved my body's need for water and a little walking break every once in a while but it didn't. I did the 5.5 miles (9.11 kilometers) but I couldn't run the whole way through. I walked a lap. So...I ran 5.25 miles today, that's got to count for something. I walked the lap and then walked to and from the track and my house.








I can't believe that it's been 8 years. I still remember exactly where I was when I first heard what was happening. 2,000 miles away from home, sleeping on my friend's couch. I still get goosebumps whenever I think of watching the news that morning. Trying to wrap my mind around what was happening.

I remember the patriotism that swept across the country right afterwards. I googled some images cause I'm feeling patriotic...I have to say though, I was excited to see what Google had done to their name for the day (as they do with holidays and random days throughout the year) but on this day they had nothing. Kind of a let down. I'm feeling very patriotic today, which I feel is an appropriate way to feel on such a day. So bear with me as I post quotes and pictures, because honestly, I can't say things any better than they've already been said



“I can hear you. I can hear you. The rest of the world hears you. And the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon.”- President George W. Bush, September 14, 2001

"And tonight, the United States of America makes the following demands on the Taliban: Deliver to United States authorities all the leaders of al Qaeda who hide in your land. Release all foreign nationals, including American citizens, you have unjustly imprisoned. Protect foreign journalists, diplomats, and aid workers in your country. Close immediately and permanently every terrorist training camp in Afghanistan, and hand over every terrorist, and every person in their support structure, to appropriate authorities. Give the United States full access to terrorist training camps, so we can make sure they are no longer operating. These demands are not open to negotiation or discussion. The Taliban must act, and act immediately. They will hand over the terrorists, or they will share in their fate." - President George W. Bush, September 20, 2001


I remember listening to President Bush speak to the joint session of congress.

"On September the 11th, enemies of freedom committed an act of war against our country. Americans have known wars -- but for the past 136 years, they have been wars on foreign soil, except for one Sunday in 1941. Americans have known the casualties of war -- but not at the center of a great city on a peaceful morning. Americans have known surprise attacks -- but never before on thousands of civilians. All of this was brought upon us in a single day -- and night fell on a different world, a world where freedom itself is under attack."

"Great harm has been done to us. We have suffered great loss. And in our grief and anger we have found our mission and our moment. Freedom and fear are at war."

"Fellow citizens, we'll meet violence with patient justice -- assured of the rightness of our cause, and confident of the victories to come. In all that lies before us, may God grant us wisdom, and may He watch over the United States of America. "

Along with that these words came to mind (in song form of course)

"And I’m proud to be an American where as least I know I’m free. And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me. And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today. ‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A."

And I am, I am proud to be an American.

5 comments:

G Sauce said...

That song always makes me tear up!

Martha said...

Goose bumps. I am taking Jeff to the healing field tomorrow. That always chokes me up.

Joanna & Ben said...

Rocky!

Joanna & Ben said...

Very nice Jess, good little tribute. And I'm proud of you for running. It means a lot to me and to Ben for friends that he's lost on deployments and after

Candice said...

Touching, thanks for sharing and reminding!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...