Monday, November 17, 2008

Crutches

Just so you guys know I was on crutches on Friday (and only Friday unless you count 2-3 hours on Saturday). Thursday night I went to play some basketball and I hurt my foot. Since it didn't continue to be painful I continued to play and afterwards is when I started to feel it. Stupid me didn't even think to ice it, so when I woke up on Friday morning I found that it was excruciatingly painful to step on. I hopped around every where and kept thinking after a shower it would feel better (thanks Dad for that life philosophy). It didn't feel better, so I decided I should be better safe than sorry and go to the doctor's. That's a big step for me, I never go to the doctor, mostly because whatever I can imagine I have it will be worse than what the doctor has to say. This only leaves me feeling like a spazz, therefore I try not to go often. So my roommate, Emily, drove me to Patient First. She is a student at VCU and did a rotation at this Patient First so she knew a lot of the people there, they even let her do my X-rays. That was kind of neat, how many people actually know the person who does their X-ray?

Long story short, it's not broken, the foot was sprained or twisted ligaments or something of that nature and they gave me anti inflammatory medication and a set of crutches. I went in to work because Open Enrollment is this week and we were doing most of the work on Friday. My boss was upset at me for coming in but I had to help out in any way I could. I received several nicknames while at work, the first being "crutches" then "gimp" then "crip". I also got to answer the "What Happened?" question about 100 times and near the end I just wanted to say, "Nothing, just had these crutches at home so I thought I would give my foot a break today."

Saturday morning I started out with the crutches but after causing permanent damage to my hands (not really, but it was more painful than anything else) I tossed the crutches aside and limped around the house for a while, but by Saturday night my foot felt fine, don't get me wrong, I can't run a marathon or anything (who am I kidding, I couldn't run one before my foot was hurt) but I just don't see the need for the crutches anymore.

Saturday night we threw a surprise birthday party for my roommate Emily and for our resident Australian Emily (pictures to follow later). Surprise parties should probably only be held for one person at a time. The Emily's were supposed to be together, and then they got separated. We had asked Australian Emily's boyfriend to help out and he kept trying to ask her out for Saturday but she kept saying that she would be hanging out with Anne (one of my other roommate's) so she couldn't. Finally, she went with him during the day and Anne took our Emily to Williamsburg. I stayed home and decorated, though I'm not good with decorations and it looked as though a bunch of Beehives and Mia-Maids attacked the dining room with neon colored toilet paper (i.e. streamers). But Evan (third roommate) insisted that it looked cute, but whatever.

As we were waiting someone asked me if the people bringing the birthday girls were going to let me know when they were close and I said I hoped that they would, but you can't be too certain so it was suggested that we lock the door so that they couldn't walk right in. Just as I locked it I heard a knock at the door and looked through the peep hole to see Australian Emily standing there. I quickly tell the people it's her and they go and hide (really well) but as I'm looking back towards where they went I notice we have a big "Happy Birthday" sign in the doorway so they don't really need to hide that well. I open the door and try not to act like there's a big sign behind me and she looks confused for a second but before she has time to really think about it the group came out yelling "Surprise!". Then I had to tell her that we were going to do it again when the other Emily came. I definitely expected Anne to let me know when they were close and we were all sitting and standing around when I got a text message from Arianne (the other person who went to Williamsburg with them) saying, "we're here." So I jump up and start to tell everyone that the other Emily is here and the door opens, and it's Emily. So I gave Anne and Arianne a hard time about the 2 second warning. surprisingly neither girl knew about the party though they both had at least one chance where someone had the e-mail opened up or someone said something to someone else about it.

Anyway it was a lot of fun, and I promise I'll post some of the pictures up tonight.

1 comment:

Donbrosky's said...

So sorry to hear about your foot!!! Glad you are able to get rid of the crutches.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...