Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Jury is Still Out


So, I went to see Twilight last night, the crowd was worse than when we went to see Batman on opening night. I couldn't help but feel like I was standing in line for a Hannah Montana concert. I've never been to a Hannah Montana anything but I feel like that's what it would be like. Mother's with their daughters, pushing, shoving, running around people on crutches almost knocking them down. I knew the lady on crutches so I'm not even exaggerating that part. The theater was packed and they had been showing the movie all day long--didn't matter. It was like going to a Ukrop's near Thanksgiving, you don't think that many people live nearby...but you'd be wrong. Not to mention the repeat offenders who have already seen the movie more than once. We were near the front of the line because as much as I hate being one of those people who stands in line for an hour or more I wanted good (comfortable) seats and if that meant waiting in line then so be it! When the theater before us got out they walked by the crowd screaming about how much they loved it ("they" being 12-15 year old girls) then telling the crowd they would love it, it was fantastic. There were a lot of girls wearing "Team Edward" shirts and swooning as they passed by. I maintained my lower expectations, I would not be fooled by the hormonal adolescents who probably did the same thing when the cute boy in their math class walked into the room. It made me sad that so many young girls were spoiled for real life romance. There's no hope for them now.

Then I started to see people from church who said that it was really good and that I would like it. That lifted my hopes a little, but I didn't want to be disappointed so I braced myself for it. We lost our spot we wanted somehow (despite being right near the front), well, I know how, a girl in a wheelchair (or with one of those walker thingys) was allowed to go in first. It was funny because the people in line who didn't see that were angrily asking why that group got to go in. I just rolled my eyes, this could get uglier than post election day in California. Then they "opened the gates" and the poor people trying to get to the theaters beyond ours had to fight through the crowd of maddened teenagers. I've never felt more awkward in my life. The woman at the door kept telling people to slow down, we didn't want anyone to get hurt. Seriously? Oh that reminds me, one of the girls standing behind us in line said to her neighbor, "I hope there's a stampede." ...I hope someone shoots a gun in the air but if I'm really lucky neither will happen.

We get our seats and wait. That's the great part of showing up early (that was sarcasm). Finally the previews started. I don't know if anyone knows this about me, but previews are my favorite part. Sometimes I forget what movie I've gone to see, but I'm making a list of future movies. I'm totally excited for the next Harry Potter and I've got to say I've never actually had that happen. I like the Harry Potter movies, but a preview never gave goosebumps. This new one is really good. You should look it up. I really like the music and maybe the music is what caused the goosebumps. But I really attribute the excitement to the last Harry Potter. I loved the last movie. Digression.

Then the movie starts, everyone in the crowd was clapping. I hate clapping in the movie theater, it should never be done and I almost disowned my mom after the second National Treasure because she clapped (but if we can survive her being a big fan of J. Lo's movies I think we can survive anything). I was worried that the crowd would be too loud during the movie but they stayed relatively quiet unless the main characters kissed. I rolled my eyes every time (not at the movie, at the crowd).

To not put in spoilers I won't write anymore about the movie, all I will say is that when the lights came up I wasn't sure if I liked it. That's a dangerous position for a movie to be with me. When Batman ended I said, "I love it, I'm owning it. So sad, so dark, but excellent!" When my roommate asked me what I thought of Twilight I shruged my shoulders, "eh". I didn't want my money back, but I won't be paying $9.50 to see it again, but I haven't ruled out owning it either, especially since I already have high expectations for the second one (they'll have loads more money and maybe a better director *fingers crossed*)

Sadly though, the man I feel in love with in the movie didn't make it for the second (oh come on, this can't be a spoiler, you've read the books right?) This is the bad guy, James. He can hunt me anytime.


Don't get me wrong, I loved Edward too, but I seem to like James more. I personally think he did a great job as James, but I may be biased already, I'm not sure. I don't like long hair on guys, but I made an exception for him. I don't care if anyone agrees with me, so I'm going to stop trying to justify it. He's my new Hollywood boyfriend. Wouldn't be the first bad guy I loved.



I may need therapy. And then I went to Barne's and Noble and bought three books...two about sociopaths. Hmm...I just can't figure out why guys don't ask me out. You know what? It's probably best since I am attracted to the bad guys and sociopaths (okay, so I'm not attracted to the real life ones but I do like to read about them and try to figure them out).

Oh no. I've shared too much.

3 comments:

Julia said...

I went into the movie with low expectations too. I think overall I enjoyed the movie, it was entertaining and I knew it wasn't going to be just like the book. But there were lots of little nit picky things that really annoyed me. Just little things that would have made the movie that much better, like the windows of the cars being tinted, Bella wearing a heeled shoe for the prom. Stuff like that. Hopefully if they make the second one it'll be better but I'm sure I'll go into that one with low expectations too.

Ed Donbrosky said...

You loved Dr. Crane from "Batman Returns?"

Lildonbro said...

I told you I needed therapy Ed! Yes, I liked him more in Red Eye, but that picture was less scary.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...