Thursday, September 25, 2008

It's the most wonderful time of the year

My annual review at work is coming up, and for that my boss has asked me to provide three accomplishments from the past year and two to three goals. I have two problems with this. First, I have trouble defining accomplishments because first everything in the past year was one (I had never done any of this stuff before) and secondly I’m not the kind of person who likes to toot my own horn (though I don’t understand that saying, if it’s your horn shouldn’t you be the only one tooting it?). My second problem with this assignment is that I’m a horrid goal maker. I don’t like to come up with them, and I have trouble accomplishing them. However, these two goals, if accomplished, will be the accomplishments for next years. This leads to the fact that I’d better set ones that can realistically be completed in the next 12 months.

I have two goals already in mind. One of which I would actually like to complete, and the other one I know that boss lady wants me to complete (which would be to get more into the interview process…such as *gulp* interviewing people). So when I worded that I said that I would like to begin to learn more about the interview process and then said begin being the operative word. Upon further discussion with boss lady she said that creativity of delivery helped, such as, if I wanted to deliver the information to her in a bottle. I asked if a mug would do because I have a mug, I don’t have a bottle. She said it would work, the more creative the more points (understand that points here work much the same as points on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
So with Boss Lady’s blessing I proceeded to get creative in my delivery of my accomplishments and goals. I got my friend to make me one of these.




You know, people used to put numbers on them and then put boys names in there so the number you picked in the end was your new boyfriend/husband/father of your children, or something like that. But instead I put my three accomplishments that she wanted me to give her and then on one tab my two goals for the next year. But just to be safe I e-mailed them to her too, saying first that I had more creative delivery. Then I went and put it on her desk.


Boss Lady was busy with meetings for most of the morning, but when she came back to her office I heard her laughing and then she called out that I had definitely gotten points. I walked in and she was playing with it. Then she asked if she had to open it to read everything and I told her I e-mailed it to her too. So it sat on her desk and will stand as a challenge for the next person with an annual review. Trying to beat me in the creativity field must be a challenge...of course I wouldn't know because I'm just naturally this cool...right?

I mean, let's not forget "Anatomy of Leader" from my leadership class in college. Best final project ever!

And 100% edible too.

3 comments:

Kirsten (Geeky Owl) said...

Hey so I found your blog. I remember him! I had totally forgotten about your "leader". Awesome. Great memories!

Martha said...

"Tooting your own horn." Yes, if it is your horn, you should be the one tooting it. I don't like other people tooting my horn. It is a blatant invasion of my personal bubble, which I do admit is pretty vast.

PS- will you make a marshmallow man for my wedding?

Sarah said...

ha ha ha That was an awesome post. Being creative isn't too hard, until someone says do it now. pressure changes things, but I think you did great.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...