Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My Weekend

Friday was my parent's anniversary as well as my roommate's 25th birthday. It's how I've always remembered Evan's birthday, same day. Evan throws fantastic parties by the way.




These are the cookies our roommate Emily made. "E"s and princess crowns.





Her sister brought the cake, nice and pink and that's Evan's picture on the crown.




Evan, Jackie, and I pose for the camera...but notice Nic in the background. That by far is my favorite part. He makes me think of my sister Kathryn, who always shows up in pictures, whether jumping out in front or in the background looking at the camera, knowing he's going to be in the picture and unafraid. Yes, he did show up in the background of more pictures.





When the party died down enough where we could actually move around and sit on the ground we whipped out girl talk. And yes, those are two boys playing with us. Evan's brother and his friend, the brave boys who played the most dangerous game of girl talk.






One of my stupid dares was to drink water from a bowl of water like a dog. Tanya had to call a boy and tell him a joke (she called Evan's brother who was sitting next to her), Christie had to do some jumping jacks, the boys (who functioned as one rather than two individuals) had to act out a song title, and Schyler...Schyler got three zit stickers.


So...that was Friday. Saturday I got a package in the mail and guess what it was?!



That's right! The 15th Anniversary Collector's Edition of Nightmare Before Christmas!!! I have been looking for this on DVD for years but it was in the Disney Vault so the only one I could find was about $100...no thank you. When I saw that they were releasing it for the 15th Anniversary I bought it. The cover is 3D, my cousins thought it was a toy and were hoping I would give it to them, but I didn't even let their little kid hands touch it. No offense to them, but I wasn't going to let it get injured on the first day I owned it...give me at least 5 years.

After that excitement died down I went to the ward activity. A cookie bake off.

G-Sauce and I taste the cookies to see if they are worth voting for. But I would stop my chewing to inform people that my cookies were the best one's they've ever tasted and therefore should vote for them. Didn't help though, I guess it pays to show up to an activity on time when there is judging taking place. Most people had already tested and voted by the time I showed up with my perfect cookies. Thus leading to me not winning what turned out to be a real prize ($25 gift card to Cheesecake Factory). If I had known that I would have shown up early and promoted my cookies better.

Not to judge harshly but I would have done a few things differently...first off I wouldn't have divided it into clear categories when categories didn't matter (because I would have made gingersnaps if I knew it didn't matter, they had us sign up for chocolate chip, peanut butter, and sugar- so I was under the impression that there would be prizes for each category). Also, I would have had the cookies broken into at least halves...people were getting stuffed before they could get through the line. I also wouldn't have labeled the cookies with the person's name. This is a cookie contest, not a popularity one so let's keep baker anonymity. But in the end I'm not hurt by losing, and I had a pretty good time...plus I love to eat cookies, so, you know, whatever.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...