Monday, January 5, 2009

Happy New Year!!

I brought in the new year at my resort (my sister's house) in North Carolina. I went down there after work last Tuesday and stayed until Sunday.

A small hiccup with the car on Saturday but otherwise a fantastic time. Joanna worried that I was bored, but I was far, far away from VA and responsibility and I was chillin' with my boys...how could I be bored? Anyway, I couldn't decide which pictures to post so here is an attempt with a slide show. Enjoy...or don't, your prerogative.

The deal with the car. So I went to fill up on gasoline Saturday night so I could keep the Sabbath Day Holy on my drive back. My brother-in-law (B.I.L.) moves his car so I can get out of the driveway and he takes his for a spin around the block while I sit in his driveway with Jacob in the backseat and a car that won't seem to start. I run inside to tell my sister and we wait for Ben to come back so he can do his manly thing of jumping the car. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working, didn't sound like a transmission problem, but my car isn't old so neither is it's battery and I didn't leave any lights on...So Ben comes back and we try and we try to jump it but it just won't catch. Meanwhile the boys are having an awesome time running around in the front yard in the dark occasionally throwing a mag light into the bushes. We call my Dad who suggests AAA, and I made my sister call because she's a mom and that's the kind of things moms just do. I'm but a mere single woman, and lack the capability to make important phone calls such as these. She calls and pretends to be me though I wonder how she passes as me when she asks the lady to hold while she asks me my address, I just feel certain they caught on at that point.
So they dispatch someone to come take a look at my little problem and I try to wait patiently inside the house. Finally they came (it really wasn't a long wait at all) and I go out to meet the guy and he has me try to start the car...same thing (surprise) and he says he doesn't think it's the battery but we'll try to jump it anyway. In the meantime B.I.L. Ben comes out and suddenly the guy forgets I'm there and refers to me in third person as though I'm not standing next to Ben. "Well, she should get the car checked out, it" and "It's probably blah, blah, (mechanical talk) her battery, blah, blah." I would have probably remembered more of what he had said, had he said it to me, rather I kind of started to zone out when I realized I wasn't needed. What can you do?
So the car finally started and it was suggested to let it go for about 30 minutes. Jacob stayed with me the whole time and since we weren't going anywhere I let him sit in the front seat, then I let him steer the car, then I had him check the hazard lights (which he really liked), then he wanted to check the tires as I steered, then he steered again and tried to kick me out of "his car". Yeah, we had a lot of time on our hands out there in the car and we made the most of it. Finally I turned it off and went inside. Then I decided I really should go fill up. So Jacob and I got back in the car, but this time he had to sit in the back with his seat, he wasn't too happy about that.
He got out at the gas station with me and I showed him how to pump the gas and let him pump a little into the car, but then the person at the next pump got out of her car and he told me to stay right where I was and hopped back into the car. Just ditched me. He kept his window rolled down though and talked to me through it until we were ready to go. Then he let me know that we were going to have to stop and look, which I determined meant the exit from the gas station back on to the road.
Sunday before I left Jacob reminded me of the rules of road trips. He had told me several times during my stay what to do if I got sick in the car. Yell out, "Pull over!", throw up in the grass, etc. He has a lot of experience with car sickness on the drive to Virginia. It was so cute the way he would tell me, you could tell he heard the speech a lot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love writing your blog entries. They are funny and cute. You're a good writer. You should consider writing a book. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...